The Legal Challenges
2. They must be a resident in England or Wales or have been living in England or Wales for at least one year before they went missing
• The people most likely to have heard from them have had no contact.
• The address of the witness
• Heading: “Witness Statement for the High Court Application for the Presumption of Death Certificate for … (name of the missing person)"
• Numbered paragraphs
• Information about the missing person, including information about how well the witness knew the missing person, all attempts at finding them as well as why the witness presumes that the missing person will not be found (NB this can be a very difficult and emotional thing to declare).
• The witness statement needs to end with the statement of truth: “I believe that the facts stated in my witness statement are true”.
• It has to be signed and dated